Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mafioso??

I was looking forward to arriving to the beautiful Sicilian blue skys....but alas the rain is here too. And when it rains it pours - not even my umbrella was keeping the rain off of my head and the bottom of my CAPRIS are soaked! Hmm... guess it was a good thing i was late this morning and missed the bus to volcano Mt Etna!
I am in the charming Sicilian town of Taormina - where the scent of jasmine fills the air. It truly is lovely. Of course as in the costal area of Amalfi, there are the flowering plants everywhere - quite the contrast from the frozen impatiens of Rome. The streets are a lot quieter than busy Rome and the people very friendly.
Unlike home, a lot of places-shops are closed here on sundays. Not so fun if you are a tourist or dont have a tv to rent a movie on a rainy sunday. But apparently there is a movie theater open today. I must ask a lot of people about this because i am having a difficult time getting the same answers from people!! This makes planning my days here VERY difficult. Oh well...
I will go back to the hostel for now and read my new purchase of a Greek Mythology book.
Last night i walked around the medieval streels of Taormina and it is very charming in the evening - It gets dark at 5:45 - with the fountains and building glowing in a soft white light and the savoury smells wafting onto the streets from the Sicilian restaurants . So far, i feel quite safe here. Not the feelings I sometimes felt in Naples when I saw groups of men gathered at a restaurant, sunglasses on...i could just imagine all 0f the 'Godfather' like things they were planning. Haha...
But this is only one night so far. Apparently i am close to the town wehere they filmed 'The Godfather' so that has been added to my itinerary to visit. Apparently its easy to visit on a Vespa!! Hopefully i will rent one if the weather holds up.....

No comments: